Parties, DJ sets and dance events organised by restaurant establishments

Apply for a licence

Apply here for a licence to use music at parties,

in DJ sets and dance events organised by restaurant establishments

For parties, DJ sets, or dance events with music for entertainment, SUISA will issue you a licence for the music.

Licences for parties organised by a restaurant
If you organise dances or entertainment events in your establishment, you need a licence under Common Tariff H (CT H).

Such events include events with live music performed by musicians or singers, events with music for dancing or as accompaniment for shows and performances (dancers, artists, etc.), karaoke events or DJ performances.

The licence fee is based on the admission price plus the price of the cheapest alcoholic beverage and the number of guests.

If you play music from music recordings (MP3, CDs, LPs, Streaming etc.) at your events, an additional fee is due for the artist’s and the producer’s rights (neighbouring rights).

Reductions for contract customers and trade associations

If you conclude a contract with SUISA covering your events, you can claim reductions of up to 25% provided you comply with the contractual terms and conditions. Members of a national trade association (GastroSuisse, hotelleriesuisse, PETZI, ASCO, etc.) are entitled to an additional reduction of 10%.

Please refer to the fact sheet for more detailed information.  

FAQ: Frequently asked questions

  • Yes. Royalties are due whenever music is performed in public – whether or not admission is charged and the musicians are paid.  The only exception is for private events such as birthday parties and weddings.

    If you don’t charge admission, the royalty is lower. Common Tariff H specifies the applicable rates.

  • No. Basically, only birthdays and weddings qualify as private events (“private circle”) since SUISA assumes that only relatives and close friends are invited. On the other hand, it can be assumed that only loose ties exist between most of the guests at other events.

  • As a rule, concerts and concert-like performances in hotels and restaurants are also invoiced based on CT K

    If guests are not at the venue for the music alone, for example, if a band is playing in the background as accompaniment for a dance, then CT H is applicable. 

    The decision is made case by case. Our customer service will be pleased to assist you in this respect.