Apply for a licence

Apply here for a licence to use music in silent films

If you are planning to project a silent film with musical accompaniment, you have to apply directly to the film production company for a licence for the film or, in the case of non-commercial screenings, to the MPLC. In addition, SUISA will issue you a licence for the music accompanying the film.


The licence fee is calculated based on Common Tariff E. The fee for authors’ rights is 1.39%; for neighbouring rights, the fee is between 0.03% and 1.39% of the revenues depending on the type of event. If you are showing the film for free, a daily or monthly flat fee will be charged. More details can be found in the following fact sheet and tariff.
If background music is played at the venue, you must also license it.

How to proceed:

Please send us the duly completed questionnaire. Please also send us the particulars of the films you are showing. We will then issue the licence and invoice. Once your payment is received, we distribute the remuneration to the beneficiary composers, lyricists, and publishers.