» Customers » Retail & commercial » Retail and service businesses » Background music / Music on hold (CT3a)

Background music / Music on hold / Communication of TV Broadcasts (CT 3a)

If you play background music on your business premises or show broadcasts such as football matches or series, you need a licence under Common Tariff 3a. The same applies to the use of music on hold on your telephone lines.


The licence fee depends on the surface area where the music can be heard or the broadcast viewed.

What to do

Please send us the duly completed questionnaire – you can simply fill out the form online and access it here. You will then receive an invoice from us for the registered usage. Once your payment is received, we shall distribute the collected amounts to the beneficiary composers, lyricists and publishers.

Tariffs and fact sheets are not available in English. Please select another language.

Roger Schmucki, Owner Jeanslife GmbH Winterthur

Related issues


Wahrnehmbarmachen von Sendungen sowie Nutzung von Ton- und Tonbildträgern, insbesondere Hintergrundmusik


Our customer services will be pleased to provide information on customer-related issues

0844 234 234
(8 cents per minute)

Monday - Friday:
9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Customer portal

  • registration
  • cancellation
  • questions etc.

Common Tariff 3a: Application

Photo: Sibylle Roth

With regards to Common Tariff 3a (CT 3a), SUISA has been managing all customers directly again since 01 January 2019. In order to do so, data of about 100,000 customers which received their 3a invoices via Billag in the past years, has been migrated into the SUISA systems. 

→ Read the article on SUISAblog

(Photo: Unsplash, Victor Xok)

Businesses that play background music on their premises or show broadcasts on screens are required to pay licence fees in accordance with Common Tariff 3a. As of 2019, SUISA will once again manage all customers under this Tariff directly

→ Read the article on SUISAblog

SUISA's foundation


Mint Digital Services