Background music in passenger transport

Apply for a licence

Apply here to license background music in passenger transport

If you entertain your guests on board with CDs, DVDs, streaming etc. (sound and audiovisual recordings) or with radio and television broadcasts, SUISA will issue you the necessary licence.


The licence covers the music as well as the content of the broadcasts which you receive and play for your passengers (Common Tariff 3b). The licence fee is a monthly flat fee per bus, train, airplane, etc.

If you already pay a fee for background music or music on hold under Common Tariff 3a for your premises, it will be taken into account in the calculation. For more details, please consult the relevant fact sheet and tariff. 

If you show films from audiovisual recordings (DVDs and the like) to your guests, you need an additional licence from the relevant film producers. For further information see under “Film Screenings”.

Reduction for contract customers and trade associations

You benefit from a 10% reduction if you conclude a contract with SUISA provided you comply with the contractual terms and conditions.

It is even less expensive if you belong to a trade association that has concluded a collective contract with us: you receive an additional reduction and spare yourself the administrative work. For the time being, contracts have been concluded with the Swiss association of utility vehicles ASTAG.

How to proceed:

To acquire a licence directly from SUISA, send us the duly completed questionnaire together with your list of works. We will then issue the licence and invoice. Once your payment is received, we distribute the remuneration to the beneficiary composers, lyricists, and publishers.