» Services » Law & guidance » Information about copyright law » Revenues - who pays?

Revenues - who pays?

Compositions and lyrics belong to their authors. Whoever publishes, reproduces, performs, broadcasts or otherwise disseminates a work requires the author’s consent.


Concert organisers, record producers, radio and television broadcasting stations, clubs and restaurants have to pay licence fees. Since it is not possible for each user to negotiate with each individual author, SUISA grants users licences on the authors’ behalf for the use of music in Switzerland and in Liechtenstein.


Weddings, no; club parties, yes 

Private use is not subject to licence fees. Private use includes private birthday parties and weddings, for example, but not office and club gatherings, school performances or background music in shopping centres.


If you want to know whether a work is protected, how much a licence costs and which uses are exempt from fees, SUISA will provide the information free of charge.




SUISA's foundation


Mint Digital Services